Announcement: ODOT17-1608ocGeodetic Surveyor – Professional Land Surveyor 1
Highway Division – Technical ServicesSalem
The Oregon Department of Transportation exercises leadership and vision in promoting, developing and managing a statewide network of transportation systems and facilities.
We are recruiting for a geodetic surveyor to join our Geometronics Unit. This position will participate in the Geometronics Geodetic Control Program. This program is intended to revive, enhance, and maintain the vertical and horizontal control infrastructure across the state of Oregon. This control network forms the foundation for all private and/or government surveys in Oregon.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
- Open until Filled: This recruitment will remain open until filled. Our first application screening is scheduled for Monday, 10/02/2017 at 8:00 a.m., but we may close the announcement at any time after this date when we have received an adequate number of applications. We cannot guarantee that we will consider applications received after this screening date. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in applying.
- Representation: This position is represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in the development, maintenance, and operation of a Statewide Permanent GPS Reference Station Network.
- Research emerging technologies related to GPS Reference Station Networks.
- Plan future enhancements to the Oregon GPS Reference Network.
- Install GPS reference stations and provide daily monitoring and maintenance.
- Research the National Geodetic Survey Height Modernization Plan.
- Develop short and long-range plans for Oregon's Vertical Control development, restoration, and maintenance.
- Work with the Lead Geodetic Surveyor in developing standards and procedures to establish and restore the Vertical Control Network.
- Recommend appropriate action for bench marks in danger of destruction.
- Monitor ODOT construction/project development activity for Vertical Control needs and potential destruction of bench marks.
- Develop condition and status reports relating to the Vertical Control infrastructure.
- Provide expertise, administration, and oversight on ODOT and consultant Vertical Control surveys.
- Manage the vertical control record and retrieval system.
A valid Professional Land Surveyor (PLS) license.
Note: If registered in another state, successful applicants will be required to obtain comity within six months of hire.
Driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
Preferred Attributes: We may show preference to candidates whose application materials demonstrate the following. We will use the items on this list along with our essay-style supplemental questions to determine who to interview.
- Education and experience using the Oregon Real-time GNSS Network (ORGN) and the Oregon Coordinate Reference System (OCRS) in Oregon or similar networks/systems.
- Knowledge and experience of geodetic surveying.
- Experience giving formal presentations on technical subjects.
- Extensive overnight statewide travel required.
- Must work in the field with survey crews to provide on-the-job training and assistance.
- Field work may require working alone, being located in remote areas, exposure to inclement weather, and/or working at varying heights above the ground.
- This position works with the public, who may be adversarial on issues at times.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, call 503-986-7146.
This recruitment will remain open until filled. Our first application screening is scheduled for Monday, 10/02/2017 at 8:00 a.m., but we may close the announcement at any time after this date when we have received an adequate number of applications. We cannot guarantee that we will consider applications received after this screening date. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in applying.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.