Announcement: ODOT17-1604ocJunior Inspector/Surveyor – Engineering Specialist 2
Highway Division – Region 2Springfield
We are recruiting for a junior inspector/surveyor to join our team in Region 2. This position performs journey level field and/or laboratory inspection, testing, office engineering, and field surveying work. This person works as part of a 15 to 20 member project management crew and assists the project manager in administering construction contracts and supporting development of design projects. On occasion, the junior inspector/surveyor acts as lead inspector on minor projects in order to gain experience for the next levels of the engineering specialist or civil engineering specialist series.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
- Limited Duration: This is a limited duration appointment that is expected to end on or before 06/30/2019. Limited duration appointments are benefits eligible and have a designated maximum length of service.
- Job Rotation: This is a rotational opportunity open only to current ODOT employees in permanent positions and in good standing (limited duration and temporary employees not eligible). Rotational candidates must meet this position's minimum qualifications to be considered. This opportunity will last until 06/30/2019, but the duration can change at any time depending on business needs. You must have your manager's approval before applying for this assignment.
- Representation: This position is represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Act as project inspector on multiple construction projects and enforce compliance to contract requirements.
- Read and comprehend contract plans and specifications for ODOT roadway and bridge construction related projects.
- Read and understand grade sheets, construction staking, and other survey information to ensure project contract compliance.
- Monitor contractor's processes procedures and progress.
- Take project photos on a regular basis.
- Reject defective materials or workmanship.
- Assist in monitoring upcoming schedules and work activities for potential issues.
- Handle routine issues and inform the project management leadership of issues.
- Provide input on possible solutions and data needed for analysis and resolution.
- Ensure contract compliance with all environmental and project specific permits.
- Measure and calculate quantities for pay items for construction contract bid items.
- Act as a member of a survey crew.
- Perform complex engineering computations.
- Produce roadside inventories, separating out the signs, guardrail, and other existing assets for design purposes.
An associate's degree in engineering technology from a community college or technical school of engineering and two years of experience directly related to engineering;
Three and one-half years (42 months) of sub-professional engineering experience;
An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Note: If you are currently a transportation maintenance specialist 2 (TMS2) or have been one in the past, in addition to your completed application, please attach section three of your TMS2 position description to receive full credit for your related work. If your experience includes work in multiple maintenance disciplines (e.g. highway, sign, bridge, striping or landscape) please attach section three of the position description for each of the relevant disciplines.
Please upload this documentation to your online application, or fax it to the number listed in this announcement. This must be received in our office before the listed close date and time on the announcement and contain the recruitment announcement number.
Driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
Preferred Attributes: We may show preference to candidates whose application materials demonstrate the following. We will use the items on this list along with our essay-style supplemental questions to determine whom to interview.
- Construction project inspection experience.
- Demonstrated ability to apply good judgement in challenging situations.
- Training or certifications related to construction inspection/surveying.
- This position regularly spends more than half of their time in the field.
- Field works includes exposure to extreme hazards of traffic and construction equipment, and adverse weather conditions.
- Field work also includes walking on rough terrain, stooping or bending around structures or equipment, and working above ground or water on platforms or machinery with appropriate safety equipment.
- Work schedule regularly requires long hours, varied shifts, overnight travel, and to be available at any time in case of emergency call-outs.
- This position has regular contact with contractors and the public who may be adversarial at times.
- Occasionally works with hand tools or around hazardous chemicals and radioactive sources.
- Occasionally lifts 40 to 60 pounds.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, call 503-986-7146.
This opportunity closes at 11:59 p.m. on Monday, October 2, 2017.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.