Announcement: ODOT17-1603ocAssociate in Engineering 1
Highway Division – Region 2Springfield
The Oregon Department of Transportation exercises leadership and vision in promoting, developing and managing a statewide network of transportation systems and facilities.
We are recruiting for an associate in engineering to join our team in Region 2. This position supports the project manager, assistant project manager, construction coordinator, quality control compliance specialist, construction designer, lead inspectors, and surveyors in their job duties. The associate in engineering performs inspections, surveys, and office work. This person works as part of a 15-20 member project manager's crew administering construction contracts and supporting project development.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
- Limited Duration: This is a limited duration appointment that is expected to end on or before 06/30/2019. Limited duration appointments are benefits eligible and have a designated maximum length of service.
- Job Rotation: This is a rotational opportunity open only to current ODOT employees in permanent positions and in good standing (limited duration and temporary employees not eligible). Rotational candidates must meet this position's minimum qualifications to be considered. This opportunity will last until 06/30/2019, but the duration can change at any time depending on business needs. You must have your manager's approval before applying for this assignment.
- Representation: This position is represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage monthly progress estimates reviews and payments to ensure prompt payment to contractors.
- Review construction forms, reports, calculations, and installation notes for accuracy and compliance.
- Review contract specific compliance requirements and work with internal and external stakeholders to ensure requirements are met throughout each project.
- Prepare required notifications for projects time and other construction forms.
- Review, process, and recommend subcontracts for approval to the project manager.
- Provide guidance and assistance to project staff on project documentation procedures, policies, and requirements.
- Review and respond to submittals, requests for information, schedules, and other information submitted by contractors.
- Initiate, negotiate, review, submit, and implement contract change orders and extra work orders.
- Prepare calculations, quantity estimates, and construction details.
- Act as lead inspector on construction projects.
- Monitor contractor's processes, procedures, and progress.
- Serve as primary contact person between ODOT and the contractor's field representatives.
- Measure and calculate quantities for pay items for construction contract bid items.
- Verify the quality of the field-tested materials incorporated into projects meet specifications.
A bachelor's degree in civil or transportation-related engineering;
Completion of and passing score on the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam.
Driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
Preferred Attributes: We may show preference to candidates whose application materials demonstrate the following. We will use the items on this list along with our essay-style supplemental questions to determine whom to interview.
- Bridge and/or roadway construction experience or education.
- Contract management experience or education.
- Construction inspection experience, including ODOT inspection certifications.
- Demonstrated ability to express ideas or tasks effectively in individual or group situations, including with contacts that may be adversarial at times.
- Demonstrated ability to apply good judgement in challenging situations.
- This position regularly spends more than half of their time in the field.
- Work schedule regularly requires long hours, varied shifts, overnight travel, and to be available at any time in case of emergency call-outs.
- This position has regular contact with contractors and the public who may be adversarial at times.
- Field works includes exposure to extreme hazards of traffic and construction equipment, and adverse weather conditions.
- Occasionally works with hand tools or around hazardous chemicals and radioactive sources.
- Field work also includes walking on rough terrain, stooping or bending around structures or equipment, and working above ground or water on platforms or machinery with appropriate safety equipment.
- Occasionally lifts 40-60 pounds.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, call 503-986-7146.
This opportunity closes at 11:59 p.m. on Monday, October 2, 2017.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.