Announcement: ODOT17-0452ocAProject Manager – Professional Engineer 2Highway Division – Region 2Astoria
Bring your leadership to ODOT!
ODOT is recruiting for a project manager. This role supervises and manages ODOT's role in the delivery of multi-million dollar transportation construction projects. The project manager is responsible for the contract administration of Commission Services construction contracts. This individual also represents the engineer on the project and has the authority to enforce the provisions of the contract.
Project managers oversee a staff of engineers, technicians, surveyors, and clerical personnel who assist in the project manager's role as the contract administrator of ODOT construction contracts, as well as the construction management experts for the agency.
Work in beautiful Astoria!
Astoria is located along the scenic Columbia River, just minutes from the Pacific Ocean. This historic city with its Victorian era homes offers visitors and residents the opportunity to enjoy both indoor and outdoor activities. Indoor activities include museums, shopping, restaurants, and more. Opportunities for outdoor activities in the area include water sports, hiking, biking, horseback riding, camping, and other exciting events along the Oregon Coast. Astoria is also just a two-hour drive from the Portland metro area.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
This recruitment is to augment the candidate pool generated by job announcement ODOT17-0452oc. If you have previously applied for this position, you do not need to re-apply. Names of qualified applicants will remain on the list for further consideration.
The successful candidate will become part of the state's management team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Administer construction contracts: Ensure contract deliverables are completed on time and according to specifications. Monitor vendor compliance with environmental permits. Review staging plans and traffic control plans for compliance with restrictions.
- Supervise and approve monthly contractor/vendor progress payments.
- Negotiate and approve contract changes.
- Help resolve contract and entitlement disputes.
- Manage the project's fiscal budgets and cash flow.
- Conduct site visits and perform field inspections.
- Minimize the impact on the traveling public, adjacent property, and local community.
- Manage the project for the safety of all project personnel and members of the public.
- Hold meetings with contractors, consultants, and/or multiple stakeholders.
- Provide written and verbal communication to stakeholders, local property owners, local government officials, and members of the media.
- Supervise ODOT employees, including workforce planning and management.
- Supervise the workforce - including scheduling and assigning and accepting the work of construction and surveying staff.
- Represent management in the development of outsourcing contracts for complex highway construction projects; participate in vendor selection.
A valid Professional Engineer's (PE) license in civil, structural, or transportation-related engineering
Three (3) years of journey level professional engineer experience.
NOTE: If registered in another state, successful applicants will be required to obtain comity within six months of hire.
Driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
Preferred Attributes: We may show preference to candidates whose application materials demonstrate the following.
- Experience in construction engineering.
- Ability for verbal and written expression and communication with supervisors, peers, and external stakeholders.
- Significant experience in roadway project engineering on public infrastructure projects.
- Experience managing represented staff and working within the bounds of a collective bargaining agreement.
- Work is conducted in both an office and field environment.
- Frequent travel required to local and remote construction sites.
- Workload includes managing multiple projects with multiple contractors and consultants, complicated by projects having concurrent and/or conflicting time requirements.
- Workload frequently requires being on call 24 hours/day, 7 days/week (including holidays).
- Work occasionally includes confrontational situations with contractors/consultants and the public.
- Field work involves exposure to hazards of traffic, noise, hazardous terrain, inclement weather, and construction equipment.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, call 503-986-7146.
This opportunity closes at 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday, October 3, 2017.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.